BIBLE STUDY NO. 40 (13 OCTOBER, 2016)
TOPIC: THE DAY WITH THE BRIDE GROOM
TITLE: THE MARRIAGE SUPPER
The unity in marriage of one man and one woman was God’s plan from the very beginning. God made Adam and Eve “one flesh” (Genesis 2:24) in the Garden of Eden.
Marriage is a biblical metaphor which can be seen throughout the New Testament. Believers in Christ are referred to as the bride and Jesus is called the bridegroom. A great marriage supper will celebrate the victory that Christ has won through His victorious life crucifixion and resurrection. The wedding preparation and the wedding ceremony itself remind us of the great marriage supper with Jesus. The following scriptures speak of the marriage support of the Lamb – Revelation 7:9; 13-17; Revelation 19:1, 6-9).
When you accept Christ into your heart, you become married to Christ and like any marriage; the bride is expected to bear fruit for the bridegroom (Read Romans 7:4). The sorrow of bridegroom is to find out that his wife is barren. The pain of Jesus Christ is to save you without you brining anyone into the Kingdom; another pain in marriage is for any of the couple to discover that their spouse is in adulterous relationship. Spiritual adultery is to say you are born again while you wine and dine with Satan. You cannot have two bridegrooms as a bride. You cannot serve God and Satan at the same time. You have to choose who you want to be with. Being married to Jesus should separate you from Satan and every evil work (Ephesians 5:27).
One thing we see in the relationship with the bridegroom (Jesus) is His power and ability to love the bribe (Christians) unconditionally. In our natural marriage relationship, we must copy this great virtue called LOVE; without love, a marriage will be full of unhappiness. Many of us claim to have love but by the Bible explanation of love in 1 Corinthians 13:4-8, it does not appear as if some Christians or the world fully understand what love is. Love is not romance, sex, give me and I give you, good for good. Love is deeper than that. Love is sacrifice, love is God, if you don’t have love, you cannot say you know God (1 John 4:8). True love gives and expects reward only from God.
Love suffers long, love is kind, love does not envy, it’s not boastful or prideful, does not behave rudely, not selfish, not provoked, thinks no evil, does not rejoice in sin, rejoices in truth, love bears all things, believes all things, hope all things, endure all things, love never fails. Do you have all these qualities? God has all these virtues. To develop true love of God called “AGAPE”, you must renew your carnal mind to a spiritual mind. Every godly habit is formed through meditation on the word of God. Every good success is as a result of saying and meditating on the word of God concerning the character of God you want to develop (Joshua 1:8).
To develop love, you must meditate on things that are:
Praise worthy (Philippians 4:8)
1) TO MEDITATE ON LOVE: is to adjust your heart until you begin to have good wishes for the welfare and the happiness of others including that of your enemies. (Pray for those who made themselves your enemies but keep them at a distance) avoid them so as to protect yourself from another pain or hurt or temptation. In your meditation, let your heart grow and expand with ever-broadening love, until you are free from hatred, unforgiveness, vengeful feeling and the agony of revenge.
2) MEDITATION OF PITY: it is to rouse a deep compassion for others in your soul.
3) MEDITATION OF IMPURITY: See in your spirit the evil consequences of sins and wrong doings, seeing how trivial often the pleasure of the moment and how fatal its consequences.
4) MEDITATION ON SERENITY: Rise above hate, oppression, wealth, want, seek calmness and perfect tranquility. See all things in life as vanity.
5) MEDITATION OF JOY: Think of the prosperity of others and rejoice in their rejoicing. Marriage is a mirror of God to the world. Make someone understand the love of Christ towards the church through your marriage. Make your home God’s signboard.
A) What is God’s plan for marriage? Malachi 2:15
B) What are the two most important things in marriage? Ephesians 5:33
C) How can we have successful and good marriage? Ephesians 5:33
D) As brides of Christ, what is the significance of the robe and its colour?
i) Who are those in white robe? Revelation 7:9, 13-17
ii) What does the white robe signify? Revelation 19:7-9
MEMORY VERSE: PROVERBS 10:12
“Hatred stirs up strife, but love covers all sins”