BIBLE STUDY NO. 39 (6TH OCTOBER, 2016)
TOPIC: PATH TO LIFE – PART 3C
TITLE: Ten Ways to Overcome Bad Habits
God’s grace is still available today to help us to come out of sins and every bad habit. What is impossible with us, can be made possible by God (Jeremiah 32:27; Mark 10:27); but God cannot force someone to change, it is decision you have to make.
If you don’t give up your bad habits, your habits will destroy you. Repentance just because you are caught in the act or because you are in trouble as a result of your bad habits is not a true repentance. True repentance comes from a feeling of godly sorrow that you have been offending God and turning away from the habit by confessing them, forsaking them and ask God to forgive you. He who covers their sins will not prosper, but if you CONFESS them and forsake them, God will show mercy – Proverbs 28:13.
You cannot be a faithful witness for Christ if your character is questionable. What will be the profit for you if you answer the name “Christian” without winning souls for Christ? What profit will it be for someone to bear titles in church and even preach the gospel and go to hell in the end? You must be clean, pure, holy and righteous after your salvation experience. Remember, no sin or habit is too small. If you keep all the law and give plenty of money to God but fail in one habit like lie, gossip, cheating, lusts, greed, envy, or any form of sexual sin, etc, you will not make heaven – James 2:10. God said, keep ALL the commandments; He said be perfect, be holy as He is. God cannot ask us to become what is not possible for us to achieve. He is our creator, He knows that we can be holy (Hebrews 6:1; 1 Peter 1:14-16).
Although Apostle Peter disappointed Jesus but when he repented, he became the leader of the early church and strengthened other Apostles who were also backsliding (Luke 22:31-32). Learn from your mistakes and others mistake; see where you fell and restore yourself. There is a story behind the glory. Take time to work on your bad habits of the past. Repent; enjoy the freedom Jesus’ blood has provided.
Ways to Overcome Bad Habits
1) Protect yourself from external and internal influences. Satan can lead you into bad habit, using people. You can fall into it by falling into temptation within you.
2) Develop “I can do” attitude toward overcoming bad habits (Philippians 4:13).
3) Keep your eyes on Jesus and the ‘New creature” He is making you to be (2 Corinthians 3:18).
4) Pray and ask God to remind you when you start falling into your old habits (Psalm 143:8,10).
5) Get filled with the Holy Spirit (Zechariah 4:6). It is not by power but by the spirit (John 16:13; Isaiah 42:16; Isaiah 30:21).
6) Change your old sin partners (all those who made you to fall into bad habits) – 1 Corinthians 15:33.
7) Have a good Christian friend of the same sex who can watch over you and be your prayer partner (Ecclesiastes 4:9,10), Matthew 18:19,20.
8) Be committed to church activities (Bible Study, Sunday School, Prayer Meeting, etc) – Hebrews 10:24,25.
9) Tell someone you trust about your struggle (James 5:16).
10) Meditate on the word of God and make up your mind to quit.
We will learn how to achieve success through meditation (Christian way) next week, by God’s grace. There is:
a) Meditation of love
b) Meditation of pity
c) Meditation of joy
d) Meditation of purity; and
e) Meditation of serenity
Through meditation, you will arrive at the knowledge of truth (Joshua 1:8).
A) What lessons did you learn from Ezekiel 18:19-32; Ezekiel 3:17-21?
B) What is Matthew 18:8-9 say?
C) What new habit do you need to adopt to help you to overcome bad habits of the past now that you are free?
i) Psalm 143:8,10________________
ii) James 5:16___________________
D) What advice does the Bible give in Romans 14:13?_______________
MEMORY VERSE: Revelation 3:19
‘As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten; therefore be zealous and repent’